River Oaks Academy Director, Claudia Weintraub, was recently interviewed by Mark Sylvester for the 805Conversations podcast about her vision of the future of education and how River Oaks Academy helps families succeed in it.
- Definition of Independent Learning
- The role of the family in supporting the student
- Building parent competency
- How to determine if your family is ready for home-schooling
- The role of common core standards in homeschooling
- Home-schooled students are more articulate, more polite, more well-rounded and more likely to give back in their community and why that’s true.
- Project-based learning
- Career Pathway programs
- College and Career readiness
- What the next five years look like for River Oaks
- Math Workshop for Parents Feb 23rdJanuary 23, 2019Sign up for a free math workshop for parents led by mathematics educator Jarmila Nguyen to help you stimulate your child’s curiosity. Space is limited. Reserve today! (click below to sign up for grades K-4) (click below to sign up for grades […]
- Workshops: Spring 2019 Starts Jan 28thJanuary 10, 2019The Spring 2019 Workshop Session is almost ready to begin. The session will begin January 28th and will end March 29th. We will soon announce the starting date for signups. We are excited to offer many new, amazing workshops this year. Welcome back […]
- Author Kentrell Martin VisitOctober 12, 2018An Award-Winning Author Is Coming to River Oaks Academy!!!! Children’s book author Kentrell Martin will be visiting us at our Westlake location on October 15, 2018 @2:00pm. He is the author of Shelly Goes to the Zoo (picture book), […]
River Oaks is a personalized learning, accredited
public charter for students in kindergarten
through grade twelve. Our families are
fully supported by credentialed, caring
teachers. We support a variety of
learning and teaching styles and
encourage “out-of-the” box
approaches to learning
Our approach is
your family’s needs.
We are a public, tuition-free charter school. We are open to any student who wishes to attend a personalized learning program. We are exploration-based and creative, providing children with the opportunity to address the California content standards in a variety of methods. We incorporate onsite classes for socialization, parent participation and parent education.
As a personalized learning program, you can create your own schedule and your student works at his/her own pace. We believe that all children are born with the capacity for brilliance. It is our mission to help children find, nurture and sustain the passion that will lead to their individual forms of brilliance, by allowing and tailoring education to ensure that every student achieves the highest standard possible.
At River Oaks Academy we believe that twenty-first century children need an educational system that focuses more on process: an education that relies less on the rote memorization of out-dated facts and more on exploring, experimenting and creating. We believe that our students should learn to access information through synthesizing, prioritizing and analyzing. Our success has shown in our latest API score, which has increased by 46 points to 851.
In our program you will have the support of our highly qualified, credentialed teachers. Our teachers have extensive training to work with the varying needs of our students and are trained to guide and collaborate with our families to meet their needs. Our teachers are excited about our mission and vision and always stay on top of the latest personalized learning trends.
Support & Community
At River Oaks we support and are committed to a high level of parent participation. Parents are involved in a variety of committees and organize field trips, park days, parent mentor programs, potlucks and much more. Seasoned parents welcome new parents to the program, children make friends with new children and everyone participates in their own way. River Oaks Academy is filled with other families like yours who have made the choice to join our personalized learning program. We know you’ll find great events, make new friends and get thoughtful support.
This post is also available in: Spanish