High School Information
Richard Intlekofer, High School Counselor | email@example.com
A graduate of Notre Dame and Cal Lutheran University, Richard began his career in education at Sequoia Intermediate School in Newbury Park in 1973. He was a counselor at Newbury Park High School for 23 years until his retirement in June of 2013. He joined the River Oaks staff in February of 2015 as the high school counselor. He is thrilled to be working with students, parents, and staff at this very special school.
Welcome to the counseling page for River Oaks Academy!
Visit this page often to locate resources that will help you plan your journey towards high school graduation, and beyond! The process of preparing for your future can seem overwhelming at times, but, trust us… it will all work out! River Oaks offers ongoing support through Claudia, your teachers, our staff, and your counselor, Richard Intlekofer. Take full advantage of all that this very special school has to offer. And, enjoy the ride!
COLLEGE APPLICATION SEASON HAS BEGUN!
FOR ALL 12TH GRADERS, AND FOR 11TH GRADERS PLANNING TO GRADUATE IN MAY OF 2022:
NOW IS THE TIME TO WORK ON YOUR UNIVERSITY APPLICATIONS! MANY SCHOOLS HAVE DEADLINES SOON:
THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA APPLICATION IS DUE NOVEMBER 30.
THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY APPLICATION IS DUE NOVEMBER 30 OR DECEMBER 15, DEPENDING ON THE CAMPUS. SOME WILL EVEN BE OPEN AFTER THAT DATE. BUT DON'T TAKE A CHANCE! GET IT IN BY NOVEMBER 30!
PRIVATE/INDEPENDENT COLLEGES AND SCHOOLS OUTSIDE CALIFORNIA HAVE VARIOUS DEADLINES, BEGINNING DECEMBER 1.
COMMUNITY COLLEGE APPLICATIONS FOR FULL-TIME HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES WILL OPEN IN THE SPRING.
FINALLY, DON'T FORGET TO FILE THE FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA), WHICH IS OPEN
AS ALWAYS, REACH OUT TO YOUR COACHING TEACHER OR MR. RICHARD FOR HELP!
Counseling Information for ROA Freshmen and Sophomores
The 2021/22 school year is off to a great start! Here are some items of interest for ninth and tenth grade families:
- Do you need assistance with high school specific information for ROA students? Be sure to download a copy of the High School Handbook, found on the River Oaks website at https://www.riveroakscharter.com/high-school/. I also encourage you to make appointments to meet with me for any and all of your counseling needs!
- Would you like to prepare for college admission? It may seem like high school graduation is far away... but it isn't! We want you to be prepared for whatever you wish to do after you graduate from River Oaks. If a four-year university is in your future, now is the time to begin to prepare! Here are a few websites of interest:
collegeconfidential.com : a huge website that helps you discover schools and fields of study that might fit you best!
californiacolleges.edu : a nationwide website with a particular emphasis on California schools, including universities and community colleges.
https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/index.html : information about the admissions process for the University of California.
https://www.calstate.edu/apply : information about the application process for the California State University.
The college preparation and application process can be challenging. As always, let me help you!
- Are you interested in taking a community college course in the spring? Many of our students earn college credits while in high school. And, if you take a transferable college course, you can earn up to ten high school credits for each class! Community college registration fees are waived for high schoolers, so ask your teacher for assistance if you would like to take advantage of this opportunity! (Community college registration for our students begins as early as November 18!)
- We are offering the Preliminary Scholastic Assessment Test (PSAT) here at ROA on October 26. While the exam is intended for juniors, we may have a few openings for sophomores and freshmen. If you are interested, reach out to your teacher, or to me, for information.
Thanks for reading... I hope to visit with you soon. Appointments are available!
Counseling Information for ROA Juniors
- River Oaks will be offering the Preliminary Scholastic Assessment Test (PSAT) on Tuesday, October 26, at 8 am on the Westlake campus. This exam, which is designed to prepare juniors for the SAT, is a great way to measure your skills in English/Language Arts and Math. While many universities no longer require testing as a requirement for admission, some schools might do so in the future. This is a practice exam, so your scores will only be shared with you, your coaching teacher, and me. And, the exam is free for our students!
Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to your teacher or to me, at firstname.lastname@example.org
To register, simply send me an email indicating that you will be taking the PSAT.
- Here is a great resource for college and scholarship searching offered by the College Board. It's never too early to start looking!
College Search Step-by-Step
You Can Find Colleges That Are Right for You
Although there's no magic formula for choosing a college, you can start by asking yourself some questions that help most students find the right fit.
Use this guide to:
- Learn about some key college search categories.
- Answer questions to discover what's important to you.
- Get advice from college students and educators.
It's your journey. We're just here to help you get started.
Counseling Information for Twelth Grade Families
- The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is the primary source for financial aid for universities, community colleges, and career-oriented schools. Beginning October 1, you may submit the FAFSA, which basically asks for family income and assets for the calendar year 2020. If you hope to attend a California institution, you may be eligible for a Cal Grant, which is free, renewable money to attend school. One of the requirements for the Cal Grant, in addition to demonstrating financial need via the FAFSA, is to submit your GPA to the California Student Aid Commission. The good news is, I will submit your GPA for you! If you DO NOT want me to submit your GPA, please email me to that effect as soon as possible.
You may have questions about the FAFSA, as well as other financial aid and scholarship opportunities. Let me know how I can help you!
- The college application season is upon us! If you are interested in applying to four-year colleges, many applications are already available. Deadlines vary, from November 30 for the UC and CSU, to February for some independent schools, to open enrollment for some schools. The community college applications will open in the spring.
- Whether or not you have made decisions about schools you may want to include in your application list, please reach out to me for assistance. Appointments in person and on Zoom are open!
- Here are some resources for you:
UC Application: https://apply.universityofcalifornia.edu/my-application/l
CSU Application: calstateapply.edu
College Confidential (search engine for schools throughout the country): https://www.collegeconfidential.com/
Colleges in California: https://www.californiacolleges.edu/#/
Financial Aid Resources: https://www.csac.ca.gov/ and finaid.com
There are more, but that is enough for now!
RESOURCES | CONTACT
Our local community colleges, including Moorpark, Oxnard, and Ventura, offer a wide range of exceptional programs. Visit this page for more information! https://www.vcccd.edu/career-pathways
Although we are not able to meet in person at this time, I am eager to visit with you by Zoom to address your counseling needs. Reach out to me at email@example.com for appointments!